Tuesday, June 29, 2010

some hexegon love


Not of the quilting kind but of the crochet kind.

Well I jumped on the bandwagon a couple of weeks ago and decided I just had to make myself one of Kirsty's to die for Granny Shrug's.
 

I couldn't wait to get started so ducked out to my nearest Lincraft, hoping that they might stock Patons Wilderness.  No such luck, so I bought six 100g balls of Lincraft Premium Luxe, which is a 100% wool yarn, mostly because I really liked the maroon colour - and the price was right, at around $6.50 a ball. 
Unfortunately I was less than impressed by the fact that each ball of yarn had several joins in it; that is a knot where lengths of wool had been joined together to make up the 100g ball. 
I suppose the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.........


I used  an 11.5mm hook, 'cause thats what I already had.

It would have taken me only afew nights to make the whole shrug, but, I originally made nine rounds thinking it would be too small with only the suggested eight rounds due to the smaller hook I used.  Then of course, after figuring out how to crochet the two hexegons together (I slip stitched the seams) to make the shrug, I realised it was too big so had to frog some of it and then crochet it back together again.  I then did a row of slip stitch around all the edges, including the sleeves to give it some stability and then decided to finish it with a row of fan (shell) stitch, which formed a lovely sort of collar. So add a couple more nights for that little hiccup.

I am overall quite pleased with the end result, barring the fact that I seriously need some help with weaving in my ends, because they keep unweaving - not a good look!

Miss A snapped these pictures of me the other day at the park.  I was, as usual, trying to kill too many birds with one stone - take the kids to the park, walk the in-laws dog and get some photo's for the blog. 

The dog was doing it's darndest to drag me away, Miss A almost stepped off the timber deck in the background there into the river and Miss B nagged me alternately for a go at walking the dog and taking some photo's.

Feeling a little stressed me thinks..............

At least I had my two most favourite at the moment made by me items on to keep me warm!!!  The scarflette was a prototype for the fantastic Craftroom sampleswap which took place yesterday at the Sunday get together. 
I had a lovely couple of hours chatting and receiving four fantastic swap items from fellow craftroom girls.  Unfortunately I couldn't stay the whole day but was most pleased I at least got to pop my head in for a bit and do abit of catching up with all the lovely ladies who came along.  So much beautiful work going on, I truly love it. 

I will do a show and tell of my gifts received tomorrow. 
Until then I bid you a cheery goodnight xo

3 comments:

  1. Love your shrug, what a fab pattern.
    Your scalflet looks great too.
    Looking forward to hearing more about your swap session.
    Luv Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shrug looks great in the photos but it looked even better in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous! You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!